Electricity Department, How it started.

Historical Background:

The commissioning of the two sets of hydro electric generators having capacities of 100 KW and 56 KW at Leimakhong micro hydel station in 1930 by the then Manipur State Hydro Electric Board marked the beginning of the use of electricity in Manipur. The Royal palace and the main area of Imphal Town enjoyed Electricity generated from this captive hydel station. During the Second World War, two more Diesel Generating sets of 62 KW and 46 KW capacities were installed at the old Imphal Power House by the Armed Forces for electrification of Imphal and its suburbs. The capacity remained the same without further capacity addition till the end of the first Five Year plan (1951-56) of the post independence period.

The second Five Year Plan (1956-61) however saw a significant change in the demand of power in the state. The demand had been growing rapidly due to social acceptance and the gradual wareness of the people towards the use of electrical power for different purposes. This had necessitated further addition in the generation capacity and it was accomplished with the installation of more DG sets of various capacities in and around Imphal.

To evacuate the power generated from the captive mini hydel power station (100 + 56) KW at Leimakhong to specific load centres of Palace Compound and main bazar of Imphal, a 20 Km. long 11 KV line between Imphal & Leimakhong was constructed for the first time in Manipur in 1930. The state was then having 26 Kms. of 11 KV line and 45 Kms. of domestic lines to serve a few consumers in 7 villages/Leikais.

Both the line and generating stations were owned by the then Manipur State HE Board, constituted under the ex-officio Chairmanship of the then Political Agent. Subsequently Electricity was kept under the administrative control of the Public Works Department (PWD), Government of Manipur. It was later separated from PWD and started functioning as an independent department w.e.f. February, 1970.

The peak load demand of Manipur in 1971 was 3.6 MW only. The demand was met from the State's own generating stations and power purchased from the neighbouring states/Electricity Board at low voltage. The per capita consumption of energy was 4.84 KWH. The demand was kept suppressed due to lack of Generation till the year 1980. The scenario abruptly changed after the purchase of bulk power from Assam with the commissioning of 132 KV inter-state transmission line from Imphal to Dimapur and with the commissioning of a 6.3 MVA, 132/33 KV sub-station at Yurembam in December 1981. The situation was further alleviated with the commissioning of Loktak Project having a capacity of 3x35 MW on 4th of August, 1984.